<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, October 10, 2004

I found a good spot last weekend and went back Saturday. I camped Saturday night and the deer kept me up all night grunting and snorting along with the cyotes yipping.

Wind mostly out of the east. I sat down next to a trail this morning and noticed my bow quiver was on backwards and wasn't looking as cool as it could look. I took the arrow out, gloves off and started untying it. Bad move, the deer coming down the trail from the south jumped off the trail and started hollering at me.
I was disgusted. I went back to camp and made coffee and breakfast, smoked a pipe. I looked at a little topo map I printed Friday. The trail is on a ridge and there is a narrow spot further south. I decided to take a look at it.
I was crunching leaves, not trying to be quiet. I found the place and it looked good. I set all my stuff down and started building a ground blind. I drug treetops and branches for about 30 minutes. I got it looking pretty good and cleared all the trash out inside it. I decided to sit on my stool and check it out. Looked pretty good.
I decided to rest after all that effort and started digging a cigar out of my pocked. It was real hard to get out. Just as I got it out two does came bouncing out and stopped 10 feet in front of me. They couldn't smell me cause I was on the west side of the trail. They gave me a look but not much of one. Fed on northwards. I had 2 quartering away head down shots and they turned back and started feeding back to me. I was still frozen with a cigar halfway out. I must have moved cause one started staring at me. Then a third deer further north smelled me and started hollering. The two in front of me ran back south and so did the third one.
So I had screwed up at least one good shot. I smoked the cigar. I got to thinking this would be a good spot only in an east wind. I went over to the other side and built another blind on the east side. Dragging trees through the woods didn't work to call deer this time and I got sweaty.
Back to camp to eat lunch. I decided to take a walk around the area and saw a bunch of buzzards on the ground. Some more flew down from a big tree. I decided to see what was dead. I got within 40 yards and saw that the buzzards were really a flock of about 20 big turkeys. I didn't think you could walk up on them. I followed them a ways and they were mostly unconcerned just keeping out about 40-50 yards. I finally got tired of following them and made my loop around the area.
I will be back there when I can this season. You have to camp in and hunt the next morning cause it's hard to get there

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?